Element's team of fire testing experts, warringtonfire offers a comprehensive list of ASTM testing services to meet varied flammability requirements throughout the world.
ASTM International offers a series of test procedures that are referenced by many North American Building Codes, and have also been more recently adopted by emerging global markets and jurisdictions in the Middle East and elsewhere.
ASTM International flammability testing methods are commonly cited for different materials used in such applications as building materials, transportation materials, and textile materials. Material compliance is usually application-specific, with performance criteria established by regional authorities.
In some global regions, test results from an internationally accredited organization are sufficient for regional compliance while, in other areas, full material certification is required using an ASTM testing method.
ASTM standard test methods
warringtonfire’s ASTM testing services comprise fire tests and assessments to a number of ASTM International standards. All warringtonfire laboratories are accredited and recognized by the relevant national bodies, and many of our staff are recognized as international experts in their field and are actively involved in the development of new testing procedures.
Dependent upon the end-use of a product, a number of the following standard tests may be required:
- ASTM E84 - surface burning characteristics of building materials
- ASTM E119 - Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- ASTM E136 - Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace
- ASTM E162 - Surface Flammability of Materials Using a Radiant Heat Energy Source
- ASTM E648 - Critical Radiant Flux of Floor-Covering Systems Using a Radiant Heat Energy Source
- ASTM E662 - Specific Optical Density of Smoke Generated by Solid Materials
- ASTM E970 - Critical Radiant Flux of Exposed Attic Floor Insulation Using a Radiant Heat Energy Source
- ASTM E1354 - Heat and Visible Smoke Release Rates for Materials and Products Using an Oxygen Consumption Calorimeter
- ASTM D635 - Rate of Burning and/or Extent and Time of Burning of Plastics in a Horizontal Position
- ASTM D2863 - Measuring the Minimum Oxygen Concentration to Support Candle-Like Combustion of Plastics (Oxygen Index)
- ASTM D 3675 - Surface Flammability of Flexible Cellular Materials Using a Radiant Heat Energy Source
- ASTM D6413 - Flame Resistance of Textiles (Vertical Test)
- ASTM C1166 - Flame Propagation of Dense and Cellular Elastomeric Gaskets and Accessories