Element offers a complete range of solar testing services and capabilities for the rating of both existing and emerging renewable energy technologies under controlled environmental conditions such as sunlight, temperature, humidity and wind conditions.
The National Solar Test Facility (NSTF) located at Element Mississauga in Canada is one of North America's leading centers for solar testing services and the rating of green energy technologies. It consists of a number of indoor and outdoor test environments, including a large area, full spectrum, climate controlled, indoor solar simulator.
Our solar testing services and capabilities include:
- Safety testing and performance evaluation of solar energy systems
- Field measurement of solar energy system thermal performance
- Solar testing - evaluation of the thermal response of materials, components and systems to MIL-STD 810E solar radiation test conditions
- 4m x 2.8m area irradiated with controlled solar radiation,100 - 1367 W/m2
- Combined humidity, temperature (-20 to 50°C), wind, and sunshine exposure
- Measurement and computer analysis of fenestration system heat transfer to CSA A440.2 standard
- Fenestration U-Factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient measurements
- Guarded colorimeter for fenestration heat-transfer measurements
- Indoor and outdoor solar testing of materials and components, such as electronic instruments and enclosures, telecommunication devices, building materials, solar energy equipment and full-size automobiles
Element is accredited for SRCC and FSEC solar thermal certification programs. Our solar testing services are provided according to standards from ASHRAE, CSA, FSEC, IEC, ISO, SRCC and ULC/UL.
Photovoltaic testing services
Growth in the global solar photovoltaic (PV) market continues to soar and certification is a way for PV manufacturers to ensure that their products are fully recognised by potential customers.
As part of our solar testing range, we offer photovoltaic testing services for panels and modules in accordance with both national and international standards such as IEC, CSA and ULC/UL. We are also an accredited third party photovoltaic testing service lab for ULC/UL PV module certification programs.
Our photovoltaic testing services include:
Mechanical safety photovoltaic testing:
- Cut test
- Push test
- Impact test
- Torque test
- Loading test
- Strain relief test
Electrical performance characterisation:
- IV curves
- Leakage current
- Bonding path resistance
- Wet insulation resistance
- Voltage withstand
- Reverse current overload
- Temperature correlation
Environmental durability photovoltaic testing:
- Water spray
- Accelerated aging
- Hail impact
- Corrosive atmosphere
- Temperature cycling