The Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work (CEMFAW) Regulations 2016 came into effect in the UK on 1 July 2016 and as a result, all companies in the UK are now required to undertake an assessment of the risks to all employees from exposure to Electromagnetic Fields at Work (EMFs).
The CEMFAW regulations require employers to:
- Undertake an assessment of the risks from exposure to EMF’s
- If required produce an EMF control action plan
- Identify any at risk employees and ensure they are suitably protected from EMFs
- Provide instruction, information and training to employees on risks and controls
- Provide health surveillance if at risk personnel identified
Element’s occupational hygienists provide a comprehensive EMF risk assessment and measurement services. We specialize in providing our EMF exposure assessment services in such high risk activities as electrical supply, welding and metal production working and the use of magnetic or microwave equipment.
Our services includes:
- An initial EMF Risk Audit & Assessment – to identify all relevant EMF generating equipment
- Measurement Surveys – to evaluate all actual EMF levels /exposures and compare to acceptable/recommended limits
- EMF Advice – to produce EMF action plans and where appropriate machine or equipment zoning
- Produce employee information, instruction and training on EMF’s in the workplace
Surveys and assessments are carried out in accordance with guidance published in the following UK HSE and EU documents:-
- HSG281 "Electromagnetic fields at work – A guide to the Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work Regulations 2016"
- EU "Non-binding guide to good practice for implementing Directive 2013/35/EU Electromagnetic Fields: Volumes 1 & 2"