Safety testing - 5 key principles for a safe product
The main reason test projects take longer than planned is due to an underestimation on the amount of support documentation required to cover technical test requirements. Many components are not up to scratch when it comes to Safety testing and in reality may put the user at risk if the component fails in normal operation within the application it has been designed in.
The main message is that the manufacturer is ultimately responsible for ensuring the end product is safe and fit for purpose. A testing laboratory can help this to be realized by ensuring correct application of Directives and standards to mitigate all risks.
The 5 key principles for a safe product:
- Ensure the correct electrical ratings and warnings are clearly marked or included in the user instructions
- Source approved components for the end product. Note that even if components are approved, is the supporting documentation up to date and valid?
- Correct implementation of third party components is essential. Are they rated to work in the tolerances defined for your end product?
- If using internal batteries such as Lithium cells, does the end device have adequate protection for over-charge or over-discharge?
- If the product is intended to be installed outdoors, has the correct level of Ingress Protection been tested to ensure a safe working product?
More from Element
Product Safety Testing
Element is the ideal partner to help electrical device manufacturers, importers and distributors obtain the fast and efficient product safety testing and certification needed to trade their products worldwide.
CE Marking and Testing
CE marking is a mandatory conformity mark enabling you to enjoy free movement between all 28 Member states.
Our team of Engaged Experts can help you understand the various regulatory requirements and reduce the test burden by comparing the various standards and producing compliance strategies that fulfill the brief of ‘test once, approve to many’.
Element provides one of the widest range of test and support services in the world aimed at getting your product to market and complying with the V&V requirements.