The Machinery Safety Directive (MSD) 2006/42/EC requires designers, manufacturers and operators of machinery to be aware of their responsibility in providing safe machinery into the work place.
Machinery Directive Notified Body
Element is a Notified Body under the Machinery Directive and can help you meet Machinery Directive compliance requirements by:
- Safety testing for the Machinery Directive Assessing your machine against the Essential Health and Safety Requirements (EHSR) of the Machinery Safety Directive (MSD) with reference to EN standards
- Conducting Risk Assessment in support of claims made for compliance with the EHSR
- Assisting with compilation of the Technical File (which are required by the Directive to be compiled in the EU)
- Reviewing and auditing Technical Files and reporting on any shortcomings or deficiencies
The Machinery Directive defines a machine as:
- An assembly, fitted with or intended to be fitted with a drive system other than directly applied human or animal effort, consisting of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves, and which are joined together for a specific application.
- An assembly of machines which, in order to achieve the same end, are arranged and controlled so that they function as an integral whole.
- Interchangeable equipment modifying the function of a machine, which is placed on the market for the purpose of being assembled with a machine or series of machines, or with a tractor by the operator himself in so far as this equipment is not a spare part or tool.
It is the responsibility of the manufacturer of relevant machinery to carry out the necessary tests on components, fittings or the completed machine to determine whether by its design or construction the machine is capable of being put into service safely.
Requirements of the Machinery Directive
- The relevant machinery satisfies the relevant essential health and safety requirements.
- The appropriate conformity assessment procedure in respect of the relevant machinery has been carried out by a responsible person in accordance with regulations
- The CE Mark has been properly affixed by the responsible person to the relevant machinery in accordance with regulations.
- The manufacturer or authorized representative should hold a Technical File including a Declaration of Conformity. The technical file does not need to be held in the EU however it should be available to authorities, if required.
- The relevant machinery is safe.
Machinery which is electrical equipment
Under the 2006/42/EC Directive, the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) is excluded for a majority of machinery. However the EHSR’s still require that the machinery is electrically safe and therefore the use of standards such as EN 60204 may be required.
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive may apply in respect of relevant machinery which is electrical equipment.
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) and Physical Agents Directive (PAD) may also be applicable to your product.
To learn more about how our Machine, Safety Testing and Certification and to see how we can help, contact us with your specification and requirements.
Complimentary / Related Services:
For those that need guidance on the regulatory requirements for a particular product we can provide Early Stage Qualification (ESQ®) services to support them through the testing and approval of wireless products and components.
Our Certification team provides the Certification Services required for Market Access for North America, Japan and Korea as well as Notified Body Services for Europe.
Element's Global Approvals team provide services to help those looking to export their radio products into the Global Market place.
Ready to request a quote?
Our deliverable is certainty - high quality data, test reports and certificates that you can absolutely rely on when making decisions about your materials and compliance. Engage with an expert today.
More from Element
Early Stage Qualification
Our team of safety experts can guide you through the most effective way of getting your product onto the prospective market in the most time and cost effective way.
Element has a dedicated team providing ISO 17065 accredited Certification Services from our offices across the globe.
Element can serve as your single point of contact for all of your global product approvals.
Discover perspectives, resources and advice from our world-leading Engaged Experts.