Chris has over 30 years of experience working in the fields of structural dynamics, vibration and seismic testing in the aerospace, energy and transport sectors.
As Dept. Head – Testing Solutions, he provides consultancy and mechanical engineering services, including test strategies, data acquisition, modal testing, seismic qualification testing, and in-service vibration measurement and troubleshooting across a broad range of industries.
Seismic Testing Specialist
Chris specializes in Seismic Testing. He has over 25 years of experience in specifying and conducting more than 300 triaxial earthquake tests. He is a Consultant at the University of Bristol, where the majority of seismic testing is carried out.
Author of Shock and Vibration Handbook (DTA)
Chris is the author of two modules of the Shock and Vibration Handbook (DTA) and provides tailored training courses on vibration testing and seismic qualification to a wide range of industries.
His experience of characterizing vibration and investigating in-service failures includes:
- Work on 660MW nuclear power generators
- Traction transformers for the Eurostar
- Range of ship and vehicle borne equipment
- Commissioning a multi-shaker test facility for the Australian Land Engineering Agency (LEA)
- Modal characterization of complex power electronic valve equipment
- Vibration Testing
- Seismic Testing
- Structural Dynamics
- Modal Testing
- Test Strategist
- Training on Vibration and Seismic Testing
- BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Affiliations / Memberships / Working Groups
- AMIMechE at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- DEF STAN 00-035 Working Group
Understanding the Fundamentals of Vibration Analysis
Vibration analysis to used characterize the vibration levels experienced, or generated, by equipment. The objective is to determine the level of vibration and its frequency content and understand how that relates to the dynamic characteristics of the equipment of interest.