The increasing power output from today’s wind turbines, enabled by taller towers and longer rotor blades, put materials and systems to even stronger tests. To ensure turbine integrity and maximize uptime, Element provides materials expertise, testing, inspection, and calibration services supporting Wind Turbine OEMs and the Wind industry supply chain from early R&D and production to maintenance and failure investigations.
Harsh operational conditions accelerate the demands on turbine mechanical strength, aging properties, and corrosion resistance. We offer a wide range of services to make certain that these quality requirements are met throughout the wind turbines and across their life-cycle.
Wind turbine testing services
Element provides comprehensive testing for onshore fundaments and anchors, offshore monopile and transition piece materials and coatings, tower materials and fasteners, transmissions and lubricants, as well as blades.
Our testing services for the wind energy industry include materials testing and characterization, structural mechanics testing, coatings, and corrosion testing, product qualification testing, concrete and anchor testing, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and electrical safety, laser tracking, fire and life safety programs, asset integrity management, calibration, and assessment of environmental impact.
Wind turbine materials testing
- Mechanical testing of metals, composites, and polymers
- Metallurgical testing
- Material characterization
- Non-destructive testing and inspection
- Weld Testing and Weld procedure qualification
- Wear and abrasion testing
- Corrosion testing
- Coatings testing
- Failure Analysis of metals and non-metals
Wind turbine components testing
- Structural Mechanics Testing
- Digital Engineering (Engineering Critical Assessment, Finite Element Analysis, computational fluid dynamics, discrete element modeling)
- Product Qualification Testing (Accelerated Ageing, UV-weathering, Environmental Stress Screening, Climatic tests, lightning strike, etc)
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and electrical safety of radio products and electrical devices
Field services for wind turbine testing
- Laser tracking for precision measuring of blades and large structural components and onsite large area verification of installations
- Environmental impact assessments (acoustic/noise testing)
- Fire Safety Engineering
Wind energy maintenance services
- Calibration of tools and measuring devices
- Oil and Lubricants: Quality control and Condition monitoring
The Element advantage
Elements expertise ensures the correct installation of wind energy, optimizing the output and productivity of the wind parks and maximizing the wind turbines' life in situ.
For more information about our wind turbine testing services, or to request a quote, speak to an expert today.
Services for the wind industry
Find out more about Element's comprehensive ranges of materials testing services available in the TIC sector, covering materials selection, application and performance testing as well as failure analysis testing services.
Find out about Element's range of metallurgical testing services, including microscopy, corrosion evaluation, hardness and on-site services.
Element is a leading provider of metrology services, with over 70 years’ experience in delivering a complete range of measurement technology and calibration services to a diverse range of industry sectors.
Our team includes Certified Welding Inspectors (CWI), Certified Welding Engineers (CWEng), and industry-dedicated technical staff to assist with projects across sectors and applications.
Modeling and Simulation
We specialize in modeling and simulation to accelerate your research and development initiatives, optimize your designs and support safe, efficient operations.
From environmental & dynamic testing to highly specialized tests such as bird strike and hydrodynamic ditching testing, we're the trusted testing partner to the world's most recognized component and system manufacturers.
Environmental Impact Assessments
Element’s industry experts provide environmental impact assessments for air quality, noise, and vibration, which must be closely considered through the planning process.
3D Scanning by Laser Tracking
Element offers laser tracking and 3D laser scanning services for dimensional inspections of large components.