Thermal vacuum testing is an important aspect of qualification testing for a wide variety of space flight components, sub-assemblies, and mission-critical equipment. Thermal vacuum testing allows for the simulation of space and upper atmosphere conditions including temperature and altitude.
Testing components for space applications requires a unique set of capabilities. In addition to the already rigorous standards used in the aerospace industry, space qualification requires even more extreme temperatures, higher pressures, and more drastic environmental simulation.
To accommodate this, Element has recently invested in thermal vacuum chamber technology. Beneficial for both material and product testing, a thermal vacuum chamber can reach higher temperatures and pressures, while maintaining a sterile, decontaminated environment.
The benefits of thermal vacuum testing
Thermal vacuum testing simulates a space environment, by removing air and pressure and cycling very high and very low temperatures. By testing in an environment that simulates real world conditions as closely as possible, thermal vacuum exposure can identify design issues before components are integrated into larger systems, saving time and money.
Along with testing sub-assemblies and mission-critical equipment, thermal vacuum chambers are also sought after for evaluating seals and rings, High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT) programs, vacuum bakeout testing, and any project that requires a sterilized test environment.
For more information about this technology, or to schedule chamber time, contact us today.
- Interior Dimensions: 28.5” W x 24.5” H x 26” D
- Temperature Range: Cryogenic to 180º C
- Temperature Uniformity: ± 6.5% of set point oven empty
- Platen uniformity +/- 3% of set point
- Temperature Control: Watlow F4T 2-channel ramping controller with Dual Overtemp protection
- Heating ramp rate: 7° C / minute
- Cooling ramp rate: 5.1° C / minute
- Vacuum Range: 1 x 10-6 @ 150ºC or better
- View window
- 304 Stainless steel interior
- Honeywell data logger - oven temperature, platen temperature, vacuum level & independent type T thermocouples for sample temperature monitoring
- Pressure relief valve in the event of over pressurization
- All Pneumatic ≥ 1.5" flange OD incorporate magnetic REED switches for position indication
- Pneumatic valves feature a 24VDC solenoid operator
Vacuum Feedthru Ports:
- 1 each KF25 port capped for customer use
- 1 each KF port accommodating thermocouples for data logger
- Air operated high-vac valve, ¼” quick connect
- N2/Argon Backfill/Purge Connection: 3/8” ID tube connection with regulator close to oven. 3/8” quick connect fitting @ 15psi located at rear of oven, inside back panel.
- LN2 connection: 24-50 PSI ½” SAE Male
- One 2.75” CF for RGA installation
- One 4.62” CF flange provided on back of oven (10 bolts)
Ready to make an inquiry or request a quote?
Our deliverable is certainty - high quality data, test reports and certifications that you can rely on when making decisions about your materials and components. Engage with an expert today.
More from Element
Element can provide you with critically important data on your product or part's performance in response to typical or extreme environmental stresses and conditions.
Our Services in Aerospace
Engaged in testing virtually every material, component and system on commercial aircraft, Element's deliverable is mission critical, certainty.
From environmental & dynamic testing to highly specialized tests such as bird strike and hydrodynamic ditching testing, we're the trusted testing partner to the world's most recognized component and system manufacturers.
Element Denver is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment for complex environmental simulation and aerospace product qualification programs.