Thermal properties of a product are largely dependent on the density and thickness of the material. Quantification of the thermal resistance of insulation or paneling products is required by some governing bodies. It can also be beneficial in marketing products, such as quantifying energy loss and extrapolating to commercial and residential energy bills.
Let Element provide you with the certainty you need, delivering your thermal conductivity and R-value testing results on time, every time.
Typically Thermal Conductivity and R-Value testing is completed in accordance with ASTM C518 but are capable of testing to each of the standards listed below:
- ASTM C518- “Standard Test Method for Steady-State Thermal Transmission Properties by Means of the Heat Flow Meter Apparatus”
- ISO 8301- “Thermal Insulation- Determination of Steady-State Thermal Resistance and Related Properties- Heat Flow Meter Apparatus”
- JIS A1412- “Test Methods for Thermal Transmission Properties of Thermal Insulations”
- EN 12664/ 12667- “Thermal performance of Building Materials and Products- Determination of Thermal Resistance by Means of Guarded Hot Plate and Heat Flow Meter Methods-…”
- EN 12664- “…Dry and Moist Products with Medium and Low Thermal Resistance”
- EN 12667- “…Products of High and Medium Thermal Resistance”
Element uses a Netzch heat flow meter (HFM) to characterize material thermal conductivity and “R”-value. The HFM creates a thermal gradient across a sample, measuring the amount of heat flowing in and out of the material. The Fourier equation is then used to calculate the thermal conductivity of the sample. Testing conditions include mean temperatures between -20 °C (-4 °F) and 80 °C (176 °F) with typical delta values of 20-28 °C (36-50 °F).
We recommend homogeneous, 12” x 12” samples with 0.5” to 4” thickness. Inhomogeneous materials can produce inconsistent thermal conductivity and are not advised. Read more about Element's range of materials.
- Fiber insulation
- Micro-porous insulation
- Fenestration materials
- Construction materials
- Expanded polymeric materials
- Acoustic paneling
- Wood and fiber boards
- Polyurethane foams
Whether you want to request further information or receive a formal quotation for our services, please complete the form below and one of our Engaged Experts will contact you as soon as possible.
Sales Inquiries Toll Free
US: +1 888 786 7555
UK: +44 808 234 1667
More from Element
Element can serve as your single point of contact for all of your global product approvals.
Element helps companies achieve compliance against global safety standards for 167 countries.
We can help with EMC and safety testing and assist manufacturers who want to take their radio and wireless product to the global market
Commercial EMC Testing
Within our EMC labs, we test thousands of products every year, having one of the largest capacities for electromagnetic testing of commercial and industrial electronic devices.