Concrete is the most common man-made material on earth. It is often used in harsh environments, leading to the rapid deterioration of poor-quality concrete mixes. Element's concrete testing services ensure the concrete used is of consistently high quality and meets strict industry specifications and intended design life.
We offer a broad range of laboratory and on-site concrete and aggregate testing and inspection services to evaluate new materials, assess the condition of in-situ concrete, or demonstrate compliance with regulations and quality standards.
Element operates comprehensively equipped accredited materials testing laboratories specifically devoted to the testing and analyzing fresh and hardened concrete.
For over 20 years, we have been entrusted with testing concrete mixes such as standard grades, shotcrete, self-compacting, and high-performance modified mixes in some of the world's most iconic and complex concrete structures.
Concrete testing services
From pre-construction review, concrete mix design/evaluation, and concrete batch plant monitoring to fresh concrete testing on-site and hardened concrete testing in the laboratory, Element support you at every stage of your project's construction.
We provide a wide range of concrete testing services in accordance with internationally recognized BS, EN, and ASTM standards:
- Full trial mix facilities with Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) experience, rapid hardening, sulfate-resisting, Ground Granulated Blast-furnace Slag (GGBS), fly ash, and silica fume mixes with accelerating admixtures, retarding admixtures, water-reducing admixtures, and superplasticizers.
- Fresh concrete workability testing, including slump test, compacting factor, and flow table test.
- Fresh concrete properties: bleed test, density, yield, cement content, and water/cement ratio analysis, temperature, and air content.
- Hardened concrete properties covering static modulus of elasticity and poission's ratio, cylinder, core, and cube compressive strength tests, flexural strength, tensile splitting strength, creep, alkali-silica petrographic, and SCRF flexural tensile strength Limit of Proportionality (LOP).
- Hardened concrete durability includes chloride migration (NTB 492), Rapid Chloride Permeability (RCPT), water penetration and Initial Surface Absorption (ISAT), density, water absorption, Alkali reactivity (mortar bar method), and drying shrinkage.
- Hardened concrete analysis covering cement and aggregate content, aggregate grading, original water content, type of cement, type of aggregate, chloride, and sulfate content
Our engaged experts have unrivaled experience and expertise in enacting design trial mix and quality control testing programs that ensure the compressive strength of concrete and durability criteria is maintained.
For more information about our concrete testing services, or to request a quote, contact us today.
Evaluating concrete in existing structures
Element offers cost-effective and reliable destructive and non-destructive testing solutions to assess existing structures' structural and durability performance.
Our solutions can be used to determine strength, carry out comparative quality surveys, examine localized integrity, assess potential durability, identify causes of deterioration, and select the as-built details of materials and structural components. Techniques available include:
- In-situ strength includes structural load testing, pull-out, and pull-off testing, and static load testing of bridge structures.
- Comparative quality testing carried out with rebound hammer (also known as Schmidt Hammer test), Building Research Establishment (BRE) screed tester, and Pulse Velocity – PUNDIT.
- Condition Assessments covering cover measurement, crack width and depth measurement, depth of carbonation, half-cell corrosion mapping, electrical resistivity, surface absorption, in-situ ISAT, and chloride penetration profiling.
- Supporting laboratory testing includes chloride migration by RCPT and Nordtest, water absorption, chloride and sulfate content, and determination of original cement content.
Concrete testing capabilities
- Chloride penetration resistance and chloride permeability
- Compressive and flexural strength testing
- Initial Surface Absorption Test (ISAT)
- Chloride and sulfate testing
- Water permeability testing
- SCRF flexural tensile strength testing
- Limit of Proportionality (LOP)
- Static creep testing
- Core drilling and testing
- Pull-off and pull out testing
- Concrete bond strength tests
- Drop test (BRE screed tester)
- Rebound hammer / Schmidt hammer test
- Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity (UPV)
- Concrete cover measurement
- Carbonation depth
- Half-cell potential
- Alkali-silica reaction
- Petrographic examination
- Alkali reactivity of aggregates
- Drying shrinkage
- Static Modulus of Elasticity and Poisson’s Ratio
- Sulfate resistance
- Portland Cement Concrete (PCC)
- Flash ash in PCC
- Concrete curing compounds
- Bleeding test of concrete
- Blaine air permeability cement fineness
- Cement consistency and setting time
- Heat of hydration
- Cylinder compressive strength
- Chloride diffusion coefficients
- Concrete cracking: evaluating crack width, depth & movement
- Testing High-Strength Concrete (HSC) for compressive strength
Standards we test to
BS EN 196, NTB 492, C1202, BS 1881, BS EN 12390, DIN 1048, BS EN 14651, BS EN 12350, BS EN 1744, BS EN 932, BS EN 933, BS EN 1367, BS EN 12504, BS EN 1097, BS ISO 1920-9, BS EN 12390-17, C512 / C512M, C876, BS EN 206, BS EN 197, BS EN 450, BS EN 480, BS 812, BS EN 1008, BS 3148, BS EN 12620.
A 615, A 820, C 29 / C29M, C 39 / C39M, C 40 / C40M, C 42 / C42M, C 78 / C78M, C 88, C 109 / C109M, C 117, C 127, C 128, C 131, C 136, C 138 / C138M, C 142 / C142M, C 143 / C143M , C 157 / C157M, C 173 / C173M, C 190, C 192 / C192M, C 215, C 215, C 231 / C231M, C 260, C 330 / C330M, C 348, C 482, C 494 / C494M, C 511, C 535, C 566, C 567, C 617 / C617M, C 618, C 880 / C880M, C1018, C1064, C1116 / C1116M, C1231 / C1231M, C1399 / C1399M, C1579, C1609 / C1609M, E 488, E1512, C1240, C1602/ C1602M, C1157 / C1157M, C1152 / C1152M, C1084, C1074, C1038 / C1038M, C1017 / C1017M, C1012 / C1012M, ASTM C989 / C989M, C900, C856 / C856M, C805 / C805M, C496 / C496M, C494 / C494M, C469 / C469M, C452, C403 / C403M, C311 / C311M, C309, C295 / C295M, C289, C266, C232 / C232M, C227, C204, C192 / C192M, C191, C186, C150 / C150M, C31 / C31M, C1556.
More from Element
Building Materials Testing
Element offers a complete set of building materials testing to ensure the materials are safe in their application, compliant and ultimately fit for purpose.
Cladding and Facade Testing
Our laboratories provide specialist cladding and facades testing services, from air tightness to water penetration, acoustic, and fire testing on a variety of products and cladding materials.
Learn more about Element's wide range of high-quality geotechnical engineering and testing services for the public, commercial, and private sectors.
Learn more about our laboratories - where they are located; the unique capabilities they have and how they can help you solve your technical and commercial challenges.