You’ll get to market faster with unwavering confidence in your medical mattress when you choose Element as your trusted testing and certification partner. With A2LA accreditation across all seven test protocols in ANSI/RESNA SS-1, Element provides best-in-class delivery, substantial project capacity, and a team of experts to seamlessly guide you through the entire hospital mattress testing process.
What are the ANSI/RESNA SS-1 Requirements and Test Methods for Fully Body Support Surfaces?
The ANSI/RESNA SS-1 standard defines requirements and test methods for evaluating the quality and safety of full-body support surfaces, such as mattresses in medical settings. The standard contains seven sections, establishing testing protocols to gauge microclimate, pressure management, and overall healthcare efficacy.
Your single-source partner for testing medical bedding to ANSI/RESNA SS-1
Streamline your medical mattress testing process by partnering with our consultative experts for all seven essential test protocols. Having a single testing partner ensures a smoother and more efficient testing experience. Rely on us as your all-in-one testing solution provider to enhance convenience and save both time and valuable resources.
Key benefits of partnering with Element for medical mattress testing
- • Convenient testing - Simplify your testing process by sourcing all seven test protocols from one lab (St. Paul, Minnesota).
- • Hassle-free process - We understand your tight deadlines. With our best-in-class delivery and ample testing capacity, you'll not only meet your targets but also save money along the way.
- • Streamlined communication - At Element, you'll work with a dedicated project team committed to your success.
- • Reliable and actionable data - Benefit from the expertise of our industry-leading mattress testing experts, backed by A2LA accreditation, to ensure that the data you receive is not just reliable but also actionable.
Which ANSI/RESNA SS-1 testing protocols does Element test to?
We test all ANSI/RESNA SS-1 protocols, which is key for pressure injury prevention in patients. Whether you are designing a new mattress product with pressure redistribution in mind or are ensuring compliance with SS-1 standards, our experts are here to support you. Note Section 1 covers vocabulary and definitions.
• Section 2: Standard Protocol for Measuring Immersion in Full Body Support Surfaces – This method characterizes how deeply a 50th percentile rigid male mannequin sinks into a mattress.
• Section 3: Standard Protocol for Measuring Heat and Water Vapor Dissipation Characteristics of Full Body Support Surfaces – Body Analog Method. Quantifies the temperature and relative humidity of the micro-climate between the indenter and the support surface.
• Section 4: Standard Protocol for Measuring Heat and Water Vapor Dissipation Characteristics of Full Body Support Surface – Stiff Sweating Guarded Hot Plate (SGHP) Method. Gauges the support surface's ability to move heat and moisture away from the source.
• Section 5: Standard Protocol for Measuring Horizontal Stiffness in Support Surfaces (Mattresses, Mattress Overlays, and Integrated Bed Systems) – Measures the level of initial pushback force that a support surface applies to soft tissue when raising the head of the bed.
• Section 6: Standard Protocol for Support Surface Hemispherical Indenter Envelopment Test – Measures how well a support surface contours to the irregular shape of the body.
• Section 7: Envelopment with Dual Semispherical Indenter Test - This is an alternate method to Section 6, measuring the ability of a support surface to mold to the irregular shape of the body.
• Section 8: Standard Protocol for Measuring Water Vapor Dissipation Characteristics of Full Body Support Surfaces – Heated Water Bladder Method. Assesses the ability of a support surface to dissipate moisture. It is like Section 4 but covers a larger area than the sweating-guarded hot plate.
Why choose Element
With our A2LA-accredited medical mattress testing services, you have a partner with the expertise and capabilities needed to achieve your goals. As a globally recognized and customer-focused third-party testing and certification provider, we bring extensive experience and a commitment to meeting your needs.
We understand the unique challenges you face as a hospital bedding manufacturer, and our experts are here to simplify the testing process, provide you with reliable results, and ensure that your products meet the highest safety and quality standards. Plus, we’ll ensure your products meet ANSI/RESNA SS-1 standards before they become mandatory, helping you gain a competitive edge when bringing your products to market.
Don't wait to get your medical mattresses to market with confidence. Contact us today.
Bedding & Mattress Testing
Element provides expert mattress testing services to manufacturers in the consumer, medical, and institutional industries to evaluate product flammability, durability, and performance.
Product Testing Services
Find out how Element provides critical compliance, reliability and qualification testing to clients in Aerospace, Transportation, Energy and more.
Element provides expert mattress testing services to manufacturers in the consumer, medical, and institutional industries to evaluate the flammability, durability, and performance of their product, and help them to bring safer and quality products to the market.
Material Properties Testing
Element can assist you in evaluating and understanding how your materials will perform or react under a wide variety of stresses.