Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT testing) and Highly Accelerated Stress Screening (HASS testing) provide efficient and reliable methods for combining multiple test types into a single, comprehensive testing program.
Element’s HALT testing and HASS testing capabilities combine high temperatures with random vibration to evaluate the performance and durability of a design and product reliability. HALT testing is frequently used in R&D and product design validation to anticipate issues before they arise, and avoid costly mistakes that might occur in full-scale testing, or in the field.
HALT testing provides essential information about the performance of finished components, systems, and sub-components. Element's engineers simulate real-world environmental testing and climatic test conditions to uncover hidden defects before sending the product to market, which prevents the product development life-cycle costs. By monitoring system performance throughout the testing process, Element can provide crucial details about the structural vulnerability, thermal reactions, useful life, and more.
The Element advantage
Element’s HALT and HASS testing capabilities are designed to support a variety of high-quality test programs, while controlling cost and reducing time-to-market. Our engineers work with you to design and execute a testing protocol that provides accurate and reliable results, while helping you stay on budget and meet your contractual requirements.
For more information about our HALT testing and HASS testing programs, or to speak to an expert, contact us today.
Because it relies on accelerated conditions, we can perform HALT testing quickly to detect product weaknesses, using only very few samples. Most HALT programs use a combination of thermal and broadband multi-axis random vibration, although other conditions (such as humidity and voltage) can be applied.
Currently, there is no industry standard for HALT testing. However, the following stress levels are usually applied to one or more functionally monitored test specimens until failure:
Temperature step stresses:
- Progressive reduction in temperature to determine the lower operational limit and then the lower destruct limit
- Progressive increase in temperature to determine the upper operational limit and then the upper destruct limit
Rapid thermal cycles:
- Progressively intense thermal cycling at high, linear rates of temperature change
Vibration step stress:
- Broadband random vibration at increasing intensity levels
Combined environment stress:
- A combination of thermal and random vibration stresses
HALT Testing and HASS Testing Capabilities
Element's HALT testing chambers are capable of combining high rate thermal cycling with triaxial vibration at six degrees of freedom (6 DoF).
Our system performance parameters include:
- HALT/HASS Temperature Range: -100° to 200° C
- HALT/HASS Temperature Change Rate: 30 - 60° per minute
- HALT/HASS Temperature Stability: ±1° C after stabilization
- HALT/HASS Vibration Type: Repetitive shock, tri-axial noncoherent. Product experiences 6 degrees of freedom broadband random vibration.
- HALT/HASS Working Area Ranges: 30-48” x 40-48” x 36-48” high
- HALT/HASS Maximum Vibration Power: 60 grms
- HALT/HASS Frequency Ranges: 5 to 5,000 Hz and 5 to 20,000 H
Climatics and Environmental Simulation
Element can provide you with critically important data on your product or part's performance in response to typical or extreme environmental stresses and conditions.
From environmental & dynamic testing to highly specialized tests such as bird strike and hydrodynamic ditching testing, we're the trusted testing partner to the world's most recognized component and system manufacturers.
Find out how Element's vibration testing services help to make certain that the products we test for our customers will perform safely and as expected when in the field.
Product Testing Laboratories
Element's product qualification testing labs span the US, UK and Germany, providing testing services to clients in Aerospace, Transportation, Oil and Gas and more.