About Element Materials Technology Huntsville
Home of Element Materials Technology Huntsville Nuclear
The Element Huntsville campus is a massive 238,196 square foot laboratory, which specializes in large-scale and custom testing for the defense, nuclear, commercial, telecommunications, transportation, space, and aerospace sectors. Our 115.6 acre facility has qualified more equipment than any other company in the industry and is home to:
• Element Materials Technology Huntsville Nuclear - a Center of Excellence
• 50+ Environmental Simulation Chambers/Systems
• EMI/EMC Testing to EPRI, Nuclear Regulatory, FCC, and DoD Standards
• 50+ Environmental Simulation Chambers/Systems
• Advanced Dynamics & Structural Load Testing
• High-Flow Steam & Water Capabilities
• Acoustic Noise Chamber Testing, Design, Refurbishment
• Advanced Calibration Services
Huntsville Featured Services
Find out how our acoustic testing services help our customers protect the environment from noise and vibration damage through our noise assessments.
EMC Testing Services
Find out how Element delivers electromagnetic compatibility testing (EMC) solutions to RTCA/DO-160, MIL-STD-461 and Def-Stan 59-411 standards.
In addition to vibration testing, Element provides a range of dynamics testing including acceleration, shock, drop, structural, fatigue and rotating load simulations.
Nuclear Energy Testing
Element is the primary supplier of safety-related testing services and equipment, engineering, research and consulting services to utilities and power plant equipment manufacturers throughout the world.
Nuclear Third Party Qualification
Element is the leading supplier of qualified equipment and replacement parts that are no longer available from their original sources as nuclear grade.
Nuclear Snubber Services
Element offers comprehensive services to support plant maintenance and surveillance programs for all types and sizes of mechanical and hydraulic snubbers.
Nuclear Valve Testing
Element provides integrated solutions to valve and actuator O&M challenges using a unique combination of advanced analysis and testing tools.
Nuclear Equipment Obsolescence Solutions
We offer qualified replacements for many electrical and mechanical safety-related components that are no longer available from OEMs.
Element Huntsville Specialties
Element Materials Technology Huntsville Nuclear
Located in our Element Huntsville campus, Element Nuclear is a highly specialized nuclear test facility. Our key services include:
Qualification Test Services
⦁ Four Seismic Simulators
⦁ Six Accident Test Autoclaves
⦁ One 150 psi, 3,000 lbs. per hour boiler
⦁ 300KW Steam Super Heater System
⦁ One Boron Chemical Spray Injection System
⦁ Seven EMI Test Rooms
Third Party Qualification
⦁ Sole Supplier of Yokogawa Products
⦁ 4000+ previously qualified items
⦁ Cybersecurity Services
⦁ Material Verification
Valve Testing Services
⦁ Three Safety Relief Valve Test Cells for steam, water and air
⦁ UPGRADED Full Flow Steam Test System to 2,000,000 lbs/hr max. and 1400 psi max.
⦁ Full Flow Hot Water Test System 2200 psi
⦁ Hot Water Closed Loop Flow System 30,000 gallons
⦁ Cold Water Closed Flow Loop System 60,000 gallons
⦁ Two 3,000 psi, 6,000 lbs. per hour boilers & One 1,500 psi 12,000 lbs. per hour boiler
⦁ Safety Relief Valve Testing and Certification Services (ASME OM Code, Set Pressure, Seat Leakage and Operability with Steam/Water/Air, and Repair Support)
⦁ Valve and other Fluid Component Testing Services (ASME QME-1, Hot and Cold Cycle Testing, Flow Interruption, Deflection and Modal Testing, Steam/Water/Air)
⦁ Snubber Inspection, Testing and Refurbishment Services (ASME OM Code, Removal, Installation, Inspection, Repair, Refurbishment)
⦁ Equipment Qualification Engineering and Testing Services (Radiation Aging, Thermal Aging, Cycle Aging, EMI, Seismic, and Accident (LOCA) Simulation)
⦁ Safety Related Equipment Supply and Third Party Qualification (NTS is the Exclusive Provider of Yokogawa Instruments and Replacement Parts)
Radioactive Material Licensed
Element Nuclear holds a Radioactive Material License and is audited by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC), Nuclear Procurement Issues Committee (NUPIC), and Nuclear Industry Assessment Committee (NIAC). The lab offers full-service engineering and testing organization to support electrical and mechanical equipment qualification to the requirements of 10CFR50.49 and IEEE Standards 323 and 344.
Element Nuclear has earned IEEE’s Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) Certification. The ICAP certification permits Element to connect directly to manufacturers through a standard of product qualification testing and standardized reporting resulting in streamlined approval processes for customers worldwide.
ICAP certification is important for expediting market adoption while reducing implementation costs. The program is specifically designed to ensure product conformity to IEEE standards, thus reducing testing burdens on manufacturers that need to meet multiple programs for different end-users or buyers. ICAP also enables trade across state and international boundaries with the assurance of operating safely and reliably within certain measurable performance criteria.
A Higher Standard for EMI/EMC Testing
• Radiated Susceptibility ~ 200 V/m, Frequency Range 10 kHz to 40 GHz,
• HIRF Testing 100 MHz – 18 GHz to 7200 V/m pk
• Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
• Large Semi-Anechoic Screen Room
• High Temperature Vehicle Exhaust System
• Five MIL/AERO Semi-Anechoic Chambers
• Extended Ground Plane Test Beds
• Indirect Lightning-Single Stroke, Multiple Stroke, Multiple Burst, Level 5 DO-160
• AC & Telecom Port Surge, Electrical Fast Transients, Ring-wave, and Bust Testing
• Electrical Power Characteristics Testing
• Airborne Acoustic Noise and Structure-Borne Noise
• Antenna Characterization
• Shielding Effectiveness, Transfer Impedance
• Electrostatic Discharge to 30 kV
• Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) to 50 kV/m
• RADHAZ Analysis
• AC Power Fault
Advanced Dynamics and Structural Testing
When it is time to verify that products are ready for real-world applications, you can count on a wide selection of advanced dynamics and structural testing services. This is particularly beneficial for mass-produced motorized products such as components intended for use in vehicles, aircraft, and other machines where reliability is critical. Regardless of your industry, you can get expert services in the following areas:
• Vibration: Electrodynamic, Electrohydraulic (Uniaxial, Biaxial, and Triaxial, Payloads to 75,000 Pounds)
• Shock: Classical shock, Shock synthesis, MIL-S-901D Light Weight Shipboard High Impact Shock
• Pyroshock: Ordnance to 50kg and 20,000 Hz, Electrodynamic to 2kg and 10,000 Hz
• Drop and Pre-Accelerated Drop: Half-Sine, Terminal-Peak Sawtooth, Square Wave 3,000g Amplitude, 100 MS Envelope, 4′ x 4′ Speciment
• HALT / HASS
• Parallel Pendulum: Half-Sine, Terminal Peak Sawtooth, Square Wave 100g Maximum Amplitude, 60 MS Envelope, 8′ x 8′ Specimen Footprint
• Structural Load Testing
Acoustic Noise Chamber Testing, Design, and Refurbishment
The engineers at the Huntsville laboratory specialize in a wide range of acoustics testing, including high intensity acoustic noise and progressive wave acoustic noise. The engineers at the lab provide support, testing, and engineering services for the design of specialized test equipment, including the WAS 3000 and WAS 5000 Acoustic Noise Generators, Many industries require the accurate measurement of the level of sound that products emit in order to adequately protect technicians, users and others in close proximity to the noise the equipment produces.
We conduct acoustic noise testing to meet the requirements of regulatory bodies like OSHA, telecommunications companies like AT&T and Verizon, medical equipment regulators, and business equipment regulators. We also help companies comply with the standardization of military and defense equipment.
Industry standards that cover acoustic noise testing include:
• ISO 9296
• ISO 7779
• ISO 3744
• ETSI EN 300 753
• IEC 60601
• MIL-STD-1474D (previously MIL-STD-740)
High-Flow Steam, Water, and Air
At Element Huntsville, we offer a comprehensive selection of services including engineering, analysis, and robust testing of equipment, such as motor operated valves (MOVs) intended for use in operating environments of high-flow steam and water. Fluid flow capabilities at the laboratory encompass wide range of areas, including pneumatic, hydraulic, fuels, steam, cryogenics, and more. With testing expertise that can help you throughout the entire lifecycle of your products, you get everything from evaluating prototypes for OEM qualification to troubleshooting high-flow steam and water valves already in use. Contact us today—and learn how you can get the expert testing you need.
We provide calibration and metrology services, including the operation of a Type 1 Metrology Laboratory for NASA. Key calibration services include:
• Accelerometers, Humidity/Temperature, Pressure, DC/Low Frequency, Dimensional/Frequency, Mass/Resistance, pH/Torque
• 10CFR50 appendix B compliance
• ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994
• NIST Traceable
International Approvals and Certification
Getting your product into international markets can be difficult with geopolitical dynamics fundamentally impacting the type of markings you might need to get your product into a new country. Our team of experts is dedicated to helping you secure regulatory approval in global markets with a streamlined process designed to avoid delays and duplicative testing. Our international approval services include:
• A Single-Point-of-Contact for 180 Countries
• In-country Testing and Approvals
• Globally Recognized Test Reports
• In-Country Representation
• On-going Compliance Tracking
• Compliance Strategy for Faster Certification