We offer noise impact assessments to support planning applications for residential and industrial construction projects. With increased public awareness of noise pollution and its negative effect on the population, calculating the impact of noise has become a major stepping stone in any new development.
Element's specialist noise and vibration services range from desktop scoping and screening studies to planning, Environmental Impact Assessment, environmental permitting support, and compliance assessments.
Noise impact assessment services
- Noise and vibration assessments to support planning applications
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Assessments of industrial noise in accordance with BS 4142:2014+A1:2019
- Detailed noise modelling using CadnaA software
- Noise survey audits and consulting to international standards
- Noise and vibration detailing in building design
- Planning advice and consultation with Local Authorities to develop noise mitigation schemes
- Construction and demolition assessments
- Architectural acoustic design services
- Road traffic, rail and aviation noise impact assessments
- Assistance with discharge of conditions relating to planning permissions
Noise modeling software
Our highly experienced team can assist by calculating the impact of noise in accordance with guidance and international standards.
We utilize state-of-the-art noise modeling software to generate a highly accurate 3D simulation of both existing and proposed conditions, to determine the environmental impact of noise in a pre-defined location. Our noise modeling software considers meteorological conditions, local terrain, and other external factors to provide precise and valuable data for our customers.
Element utilizes Computer Aided Noise Abatement (CadnaA) software to provide visual noise contour plots of the predicted environmental impact and assess mitigation schemes.
Noise and vibration surveys
Element offers ambient noise and vibration surveys to support impact assessments. Ambient noise measurements are undertaken in accordance with BS 7445:1991 “Description and Measurement of Environmental Noise”.
Our team of acoustic noise testing experts are members of the Institute of Acoustics (IOA). We provide specialist noise and vibration surveys across all sectors, utilizing industry-leading equipment and technology including Acoustic Noise Cameras and Noise Modeling Software.
Case Study: EIA scoping project for Warringtonfire
Learn how we performed an EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) for the construction of the UK's largest built environment product testing facility.The project included acoustic design assistance, noise assessments, and air quality dispersion modeling to demonstrate that the new facility would not have a detrimental impact on the local environment. read our case study
Case Study: Noise Impact Assessment for Eden Geothermal
Read how Element carried out a Noise Impact Assessment on the Eden Geothermal construction project.During the drilling process, Element provided detailed technical acoustic input into the groundbreaking scheme that is supporting the decarbonization of heat supply for the world-famous Eden Project biomes. read our case study
Case Study: Noise Impact Assessment for National Highways on M32 Eastville Viaduct
Learn how we carried out a noise assessment addressing noise pollution concerns surrounding the M32 Eastville Viaduct in Bristol.Read our case study authored by Stephen Wigham demonstrating Element’s industry-leading capabilities read our case study
FAQ: The latest insights on Noise Impact Assessments
We asked our environmental expert Stephen Wigham to answer Frequently Asked Questions regarding environmental noise assessments and environmental impact assessments.Discover how our independent environmental compliance experts are helping clients understand the environmental impact of new developments. READ OUR FAQ
Ground borne vibration
Residential and industrial areas have a legal vibration limit. Construction, demolition activities, railway lines, and busy roads provide a significant vibration impact. It is critical to determine the potential vibration impact on the surrounding areas and structures before any construction or demolition activities commence. Element’s Ground Borne Vibration surveys will provide you with certainty that your project remains below the vibration limit.
The Element advantage
Element offers a unique combination of experienced Acoustic Consultants and Noise Modeling expertise. Our engaged experts - members of the Institute of Acoustics and the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health - provide the certainty with your application needs by exhaustive surveying, assessment and modelling.
You can trust Element to support you with all your Noise Survey & Assessments, Modelling and Acoustic Consultancy services, contact our experts today.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 7445-1:2003 - Description and measurement of environmental noise. Guide to quantities and procedures. BSI, London.
- British Standards Institution [BS] EN 61672-1:2003 Electroacoustics. Sound level meters. Specifications. BSI, London.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 6472-1:2008 Guide to evaluation of human exposure to vibration in buildings. Part 1: Vibration sources other than blasting, BSI, London.
- British Standards Institute [BS] 7385-2:1993 Evaluation and Measurement for vibration in Buildings. Part 2, Guide to damage levels from ground borne vibration. BSI, London.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 5228-1:2009+A1:2014 “Code of practice for noise and vibration control on construction and open sites – Part 1: Noise”.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 5228-2:2009+A1:2014 “Code of practice for noise and vibration control on construction and open sites – Part 2: Vibration”.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 8233: Sound Insulation and Noise Reduction for Buildings. BSI, London.
- British Standards Institution [BS] 4142:2014+A1:2019 Methods for rating and assessing industrial and commercial sound, BSI, London.
- Department of Transport, Welsh Office (1988). Calculation of Road Traffic Noise. HMSO, London.
- Environmental Protection Act (1990). HMSO, London.
- The Control of Pollution Act (1974). HMSO, London.
- Environment Agency (2004). Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control [IPPC] Version 3 Horizontal Guidance for Noise Part 2 – Noise Assessment and
- Control. Environment Agency, Bristol.
- Highways Agency (2011). Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, Volume 11, Section 3, Part 7: Noise and Vibration. The Highways Agency.
- International Organization for Standardization (1996). ISO 9613-2:1996 Acoustics – Attenuation of sound during propagation outdoors – Part 2: General method of calculation. ISO, Switzerland.
- International Organization for Standardization (2010). ISO 3744:2010 Acoustics –Determination of sound power levels and sound energy levels of noise sources using sound pressure -- Engineering methods for an essentially free field over a reflecting plane. ISO, Switzerland.
- Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (2018). National Planning Policy Framework. OGL, London.
All our measurement equipment is routinely calibrated by external laboratories to ensure the accuracy of the data and provide full transparency to regulatory bodies.
Please contact us if you have any questions about acoustics testing or requirements.
Environmental Testing and Compliance Content
Discover our environmental thought leadership content including articles, white papers, case studies and FAQs.
Written by our industry experts, we explore a range of laboratory and field-based topics related to how we help clients comply with environmental legislation and maintain safe operations.READ MORE
Air Dispersion Modeling
Air Dispersion Modeling computes weather patterns and local topography to predict the concentration of emissions at ground level caused by an emissions source. Find out more.
Ambient Air Quality
Find out how we help our customers comply with regulations for ambient air quality to protect human health and the environment from the harmful effects of air pollution.
Workplace Vibration Testing
Find out how we help our customers to minimize exposure to Hand Arm and Whole Body Vibration in the workplace.
Workplace Noise Surveys and Assessments
Find out how we help our customers to reduce and minimize exposure to noise in the workplace.
Environmental Impact Assessments
Element’s industry experts provide environmental impact assessments for air quality, noise, and vibration, which must be closely considered through the planning process.
Stack Emissions Testing
Find out how our stack emissions testing services help our customers to prevent exposure, reduce emissions, improve air quality and achieve regulatory compliance for the industrial installations they operate.
Temporary CEMS Emissions Monitoring
For industrial sites encountering an unexpected breakdown of their CEMS emissions measurement instruments, our team will quickly devise a CEMS recovery plan based on your monitoring requirements and processes.
Environmental Compliance & Safety
Element’s industry-leading environmental compliance and safety services help our customers to demonstrate the highest possible standards of environmental compliance and socially responsible performance.