Element offers a complete range of stack emissions testing, environmental inspection, and consultancy services to help organizations achieve total regulatory compliance for industrial installations.
Operators producing emissions to air from stacks and other source releases are required to comply with Emissions Limit Values (ELVs) and Quality Assurance of CEMS as specified in their regulatory monitoring requirements, such as EU Industrial Emissions (IED) & Medium Combustion Plant (MCP) Directives, US Clean Air Act, Permit & License monitoring requirements.
MCERTS stack emissions testing and monitoring
Element are the largest ISO 17025 UKAS-MCERTS accredited organization in the UK, Ireland and The Netherlands operating from 11 regional across offices with over 50 teams.
Key Features of our class-leading emissions service include:
- People - Largest pool of MCERTS certified emissions experts in the UK (Level II with all 4 Technical Endorsements).
- Geographic Coverage - Engineers based across 10 regional offices to quicken operations, maintain competitive rates and provide value for money.
- Accreditation - Largest scope of UKAS Accredited Tests in the UK covering all the main parameters but also other, less common, compounds including Chrome VI, Isocyanates, Siloxanes, Bioaerosols, Speciated VOCs such as Phenols and Cresols, Sulphuric Acid Mist, Odour, HCN, H2S along with other trace and bulk gas components.
- Centre of Technical Excellence – Each year we conduct over 300 EN 14181 CEMS QAL2 and AST campaigns and all this knowledge, practical experience and best practice is focused in our new hub with the aim of delivering the best possible advice and trusted solutions for CEMS Quality Assurance and Verifications.
- Calibration Workshop – We maintain, calibrate and performance check all of our sampling equipment ourselves. For example, over 60 FIDs, over 60 Horiba Combustion Gas Analysers, and around 70 Manual Isokinetic Sampling Systems. This gives us a greater understanding of how the equipment works leading to more accurate and repeatable emissions data.
- In-House Analysis of Samples by Element laboratories – Some stack emissions testing requires extractive.
- e-Mission Digitial Portal to manage all aspects of your emissions requirements through an on-line system designed by Element.
We provide independent, accredited stack emissions testing, which is essential for all organizations that wish to meet their regulatory compliance responsibilities.
Maritime Emissions Monitoring
International Maritime Organization (IMO) regulations have been tightened in recent years to limit air emissions from ships and other maritime vessels. Maritime air pollution control is now much more closely aligned with shore-based power plants and industrial sites.
Our ISO 17025 UKAS-MCERTS accredited emissions testing methods monitor maritime emissions highlighted in the MARPOL Annex VI Regulations, aimed at controlling pollutants such as NOx, SOx and CO2.
Element work in collaboration with marine fuel additive companies to provide the sector with independently verified reductions in carbon emissions and fuel consumption. We have a proven track record of successfully delivering maritime projects, and our experience of testing on ships and vessels allows us to provide the accurate advice you need.
Many facilities are required to operate under an Odour Management Plan (OMP) as part of their Environmental Permitting Regulations and to prove Compliance. Other processes may just require an assessment of the performance of odour control units or to investigate an odour complaint.
Odour pollution can be complicated to assess and measure as often several substances are involved and multiple factors in play including the concentration, intensity and site specific / time dependent factors.
For Point Sources (Stacks) Odour is measured to the European Odour Standard EN 13725:2003 for which Element are UKAS Accredited. This determines the odour concentration by dynamic olfactometry, where odour is assessed from the point of view of perceptibility to human olfactory sense.
We can collect samples using a non-reactive material and a sampling technique that prevents potential sources of contamination. The sample is rapidly assessed by an odour panel within 30 hours of sampling. Results are then calculated in the form of European odour units, and assessment of the hedonic tone, if necessary.
In addition to stack emissions testing and compliance services, Element also offers audit training e.g. Operator Monitoring Assessment (OMA) to prepare for an Environment Agency audit visit. Audit training can help ensure your audit will be carried out effectively and efficiently, resulting in an accurate representation of the standard of self-monitoring.
The Element advantage
We conduct more EN 14181 QAL2 and ASTs than anyone else in the UK. Our newly formed Centre of Technical Excellence acts as a hub to share best practice and knowledge from our vast experience conducting tests with the full spectrum of different types of CEM.
With this complex, technical emissions testing trust our Element experts and the number one provider of this service.
We have specialized in-house training programmes targeted at excellence in the details, intricacies and methods A, B & C for deriving calibration functions for EN 14181.
Our goal is to help you achieve regulatory compliance, meet your environmental goals, and support reduced emissions to improve Air Quality.
For more information about our stack emissions testing, or to know more about our MCERTS accredited stack emissions testing services, contact us today.
Our stack emissions testing and compliance services include:
- Periodic Compliance Monitoring
- CEMS Calibration & Verification
- EN 14181 QAL 2 & Annual Surveillance Test
- US EPA RATA Protocols
- Accredited Stack Emissions Testing (ISO 17025, MCERTS)
- In-House Accredited Laboratory Analysis (ISO 17025, MCERTS) of Stack Emissions Monitoring Samples
- Training (Regulatory Compliance, EN 14181)
- Investigative Testing, Process Optimization & Abatement Plant Efficiency Testing
- Process Commissioning of New Plant
- Offshore Emissions Monitoring
- Air Quality Assessment (Air, Noise & Odour)
- Dispersion Modelling (Air, Noise & Odour)
- Environmental Noise Assessments (Noise Investigation, Acoustic Camera)
- Planning & Permitting Support Services
- Dioxins and Furans Testing
We provide all types of stack emissions testing using manual reference and alternative methods, instrumental analyzers, and FTIR including;
- Particulate Matter, PM10 & PM2.5
- Combustion Gases (NOX, NO, NO2, N2O, SO2, CO, CO2, VOCs & TOC)
- Trace Pollutants (Dioxins & Furans, PCBs & PAHs, Metals & Mercury, Hexavalent Chromium)
- Acidic Gases & Vapors (HCl, HF, NH3, HCN, H2S, Sulphuric Acid Mist, Nitric Acid Vapor)
- Organic Compounds (Specific VOCs, Formaldehyde & Aldehydes, Isocyanates, Oil Mist, Tar & Bitumen Fume)
- Biogenic Fraction CO2
Element performs stack emissions testing to the following standards:
|Pollutant||European Standards||US EPA (CFR) Standards|
|Aldehydes||US EPA Method 316||US EPA Method 316|
|Biogenic Fraction CO2||EN ISO 13833|
|Carbon Dioxide||ISO 12039|
|Carbon Monoxide||EN 15058|
|Condensable VOCs||In house accredited method|
|Dioxins and Furans||EN 1948 |
|Dioxin-like PCBs ||EN 1948:4|
|Formaldehyde ||US EPA Method 316 |
|Gaseous Species by FTIR||TGN M22 (Flexible Scope)|
|Halides and Halogens ||US EPA Method 26/26A ||US EPA Method 26/26A|
|Heavy Metals||EN 14385|
|Hexavalent Chromium||EN ISO 23210|
|Homogeneity||EN 15259 |
|Hydrogen Chloride ||EN 1911 |
|Hydrogen Cyanide ||US EPA CTM 033 ||US EPA CTM 033|
|Hydrogen Fluoride||ISO 15713 |
|Hydrogen Sulphide ||US EPA Method 11 ||US EPA Method 11 |
|lsocyanates||US EPA CTM 36 |
|Mercury ||EN 13211 |
|Nitric Acid Vapour ||US EPA Method 7D |
|Nitrous Oxide ||EN ISO 21258 |
|Odor ||EN 13725 |
|Oil Mist, Tar and Bitumen Fume ||EN 13284-1 with MDHS 84 |
|Oxides of Nitrogen ||EN 14792 |
|Oxygen ||EN 14789 |
|PAHs ||ISO 11338 |
|PM10& PM2.5 ||EN ISO 23210 |
|Pressure, Temperature, and Velocity ||EN 16911-1|
|Speciated VOCs ||PD CEN/TS 13649 |
|Sulphur Dioxide ||EN 14791 |
|Sulphur Dioxide ||CEN/TS 17021 |
|Total Particulate Matter ||EN 13284-1 |
|Total VOCs (TOC) ||EN 12619 |
|Water Vapour||EN 14790|
Total environmental compliance
Test, track and trend your stack emissions data with our industry leading digital portal.
With e-Mission, Element continues to innovate in the field of emissions monitoring.
Read more about how our emissions platform offers a clearer picture of your environmental status, provides the ability to spot trends and identify issues to reduce the risk of non-compliance.READ MORE
Environmental Testing and Compliance Content
Discover our environmental thought leadership content including articles, white papers, case studies and FAQs.
Written by our industry experts, we explore a range of laboratory and field-based topics related to how we help clients comply with environmental legislation and maintain safe operations.READ MORE
Ambient Air Quality
Find out how we help our customers comply with regulations for ambient air quality to protect human health and the environment from the harmful effects of air pollution.
Air Dispersion Modeling
Air Dispersion Modeling computes weather patterns and local topography to predict the concentration of emissions at ground level caused by an emissions source. Find out more.
EN 14181 Calibration & Testing
Element experts offer EN 14181 calibration services including QAL1, QAL2, QAL3 and ASTs to verify the performance of CEMS and ensure regulatory compliance.
Temporary CEMS Emissions Monitoring
For industrial sites encountering an unexpected breakdown of their CEMS emissions measurement instruments, our team will quickly devise a CEMS recovery plan based on your monitoring requirements and processes.
Biogenic Carbon 14 Emissions Monitoring
Find out more about our OFGEM approved Biogenic Carbon 14 Measurement services, used to determine the renewable energy content of waste-derived fuels.
Biogas Engine and Flare Emissions Monitoring
Find out how we help our customers with their annual monitoring of biogas engine and flare emissions from plants.
Medium Combustion Plant Directive
Element supports clients in the UK and Ireland with emission testing to demonstrate compliance with MCPD and give guidance throughout the permitting process.
Residence Time Verification
Find out more about our Residence Time services, offering verification of two seconds residence time within secondary combustion chambers for waste incinerators.
Element offers siloxane sampling and analysis services to accurately evaluate the levels of siloxanes in filter systems.
Environmental Compliance & Safety
Element’s industry-leading environmental compliance and safety services help our customers to demonstrate the highest possible standards of environmental compliance and socially responsible performance.
Energy from Waste Plant Services
Element provides end-to-end services to support EfW operators with all environmental and pollution control measures. Our UKAS-MCERTS accredited stack emissions monitoring,
Environmental Impact Assessments
Element’s industry experts provide environmental impact assessments for air quality, noise, and vibration, which must be closely considered through the planning process.