Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs) are chemicals widely used in industrial processes that are highly regulated due to the risks they pose to human health. Element performs SVOC and VOC testing to help ensure compliance with all applicable standards.
Element is a system of laboratories with advanced capabilities that allow us to conduct SVOC and VOC testing in both consumer products and in samples from the environment. With the use of several large environmental chambers and a microchamber, we can perform precise VOC testing for automotive products, building materials, office products, and furniture. We also test matrices such as water, soil, waste, oil, ambient air, soil vapor, and off-gas from car components.
VOCs in products and the environment
Regulations require VOCs and SVOCs to be tested at extremely low concentrations. Exposure to some of these chemicals has been linked to a variety of health issues. It is critical to ensure that your products and materials comply with safety guidelines and legislation restricting the use of substances. Element employs a variety of test methods to evaluate a range of material types and can assist with virtually any VOC or SVOC testing project, including emissions testing.
Element uses state-of-the-art equipment and robust methods to reach the low detection levels and most methods/matrices are accredited to ISO 17025. Element provides the high-volume, accurate testing required to ensure you meet highly stringent regulatory guidelines and clean-up requirements.
VOC testing and sampling
We use a variety of instruments including Gas chromatography / Mass spectroscopy (Thermal Desorption, Headspace GC/MS and Purge & Trap GC/MS), Gas Chromatography with flame-ionization detection (GC-FID) and High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
Element provides the following sampling media:
- desorption tubes
- Tedlar bags
- evacuated canisters and BottleVacs
- VOC vials
- methanol preservatives
- DNPH cartridges
We can advise on the best sampling media to use to minimize VOC losses and maintain the integrity of the sample.
Element provides environmental testing for a wide range of VOC’s in drinking water, ground water, surface water, soil and waste. Element can also check for other VOC contaminants such as Bromodichloromethane, Bromoform, Chloroform, Dibromochloromethane, and total Trihalomethanes. We ensure tests are right first time, and carried out as quickly as possible.
Methanol preserved VOCs
There are many ways of sampling soil for VOCs, each with advantages and disadvantages. Element can provide sample kits for the methanol preserved VOC analysis in accordance with BS 10176 (UK) and EPA Method 5030 (US/Canada).
VOCs on sorbent tubes
Element can provide sorbent tubes for air quality sampling of VOCs. Tubes can be sampled either passively or pumped with the VOCs being trapped onto the sorbent media. The tube is then either thermally or solvent desorbed and analyzed for target VOCs including chlorinated solvents, a general screen (top 10 GC-MS peaks) or TPH CWG including BTEXN. Element can advise on which sorbent tube to use depending on the volatiles of concern and the required sampling period.
VOCs in canisters
Evacuated canisters (Suma type canisters), BottleVacs and Tedlar Bags can be used to take whole samples. The canisters and Bottlevacs are dispatched under vacuum with a sample train. Depending on the sample train provided and the container volume the equipment can be used to take samples over either a few minutes, an hour, 8 hours or 24 hours. These are particularly useful to obtain both ambient and vapor intrusion samples.
VOC testing for products
Element employs a variety of methods to sample VOC emissions from products and materials using tedlar bags, mircochamber sampling, thermal desorption and various size chamber testing.
The Element advantage
Element has the expertise, facilities, and know-how to support your project and testing needs. We can deliver VOC sampling and analysis for a wide range of applications in pharmaceutical, residual solvents, impurities from drug substances and container closure systems, flavor, fragrance, and packaging, petrochemical, environmental, and polymers industries.
Our testing laboratories in North America, the United Kingdom, the Middle East, and Asia, and South Africa offer a full suite of services and provide customized reports for your testing requirements.
Please get in touch with our experts for more information on our VOC and SVOC testing and analysis services.
- Interior materials and components
- 1,3-butadiene in air from 1 cubic meter chamber - wet chemical method
- 1,3-butadiene content - headspace method
- Determination of aldehyde and ketones from interior materials
- Determination of emission of organic compounds - headspace GC
- Determination of formaldehyde emission in vehicle interior materials
- Determination of organic emissions in vehicle interiors by headspace GC
- Determination of organic emissions in vehicle interiors
- Determination of VOC/SVOC from interior materials
- Determination of VOC in interior components
- Emission behavior of components in a chamber
- Interior air of road vehicles - high temperature
- Microscale method
- Odor by sampling bag from 1 cubic meter chamber
- Interior - emission behavior
- Screening method
- Sampling bag method
- Static headspace GC/MS for interior materials
- Cabin parts
- Determination of VOC in cabin parts
- Vehicle parts
- Determination of VOC from parts in vehicle compartment
- Determination of VOC from vehicle parts
- Determination of aldehydes and ketones, parts, components, materials
- Emission behavior of parts in a chamberPart assembly and full vehicle
- Analysis of formaldehyde and carbonyl compounds by HPLC
- Determination of VOC emission in part assembly
- Determination of formaldehyde - bottle test
- Emission with air exchange in a testing chamber
- Formaldehyde bottle method - HPLC determination
- Measuring emissions of formaldehyde
- Olfactory behavior in a testing chamber
- Performance vehicle air quality material requirements
- Thermal desorption analysis of organic emissions
- BMW GS97014-3
- BMW GS97014-4
- Butadiene from DBL 5430
- EN 13130-4
- FCA CS13398
- FLTM BZ108
- FLTM BZ156-01
- FLTM BZ157-01
- ISO 12219-2
- ISO 12219-4 and OEM Variants
- All Japanese and Korean OEM Test Methods
- ISO 12219-6
- ISO 12219-7
- ISO 12219-9
- VCS 1027,2739
- VCS 1027,2749
- VCS 1027,2759
- VCS 1027,2769
- VW PV2942
- VW PV3341
- VW PV3925
Read our article on VOC testing in vapor
Soil, water, and vapor must be tested as part of he environmental assessment process. Without vapor testing for VOCs, an environmental assessment is considered incomplete
Find out how we help our customers to meet their regulatory requirements and achieve maximum crop quality and revenue through a better understanding of soil fertility, nutrient content and the presence of potentially harmful organisms in their soil.
Air Quality Testing
Find out how our ambient air quality testing solutions help our customers to systematically measure the pollutant levels of their operations and minimize their impact on the environment.
Find out how Element's chemistry teams work with our customers to identify the contents, composition and quality of materials they develop and manufacture.
End-to-End Services in Transportation
Providing testing from Research and Development, to Design Validation and through Production Validation, Element can provide you with certainty.