Carbon arc instruments are some of the earliest accelerated weathering test chambers designed to test the light-fastness durability of materials, and remain to this day a valuable test method used to evaluate the resistance of polymeric materials against sunlight and moisture.
Carbon arc devices use an arcing light source to simulate sunlight. Ignited carbon rods emit ultraviolet, visible, and infrared radiation as an electric current is arced between them. Element’s laboratories are equipped with Sunshine Carbon Arc Weather-Ometers (SWOM), which use an open flame to evaluate the optimum integrity for your products, while ensuring compliance with relevant industry standards.
Materials we commonly test
As materials experts, we have experience performing carbon arc testing on a variety of materials, particularly plastics, paints and coatings, synthetic resin, and window glass adhesives.For more information on carbon arc testing, contact an expert today.
Element is accredited to perform carbon arc testing to the following standards:
- ASTM G152: standard practice for operating open flame carbon arc light apparatus for exposure of nonmetallic materials
- ASTM D1499: standard practice for filtered open flame carbon arc exposures of plastics
- JIS B 7753: light exposure and light and water exposure apparatus (open flame carbon arc type)
- JIS D 0205: test method of weatherability for automotive parts
- NES M 0135: weatherability and light resistance test methods for synthetic resin parts
- NES M 0141: test method for coating of synthetic resin
- MES MN 201B: test method for plastic materials
- MES MN 350M: window glass adhesives
Related services offered
ASTM G154; ASTM D4587
ASTM D1149 (Method B); ASTM D1171; ASTM D518
DIN75 220; SAE J575; MIL-STD-810E (Method 505.3); MIL-STD-810F (Method 505.4)
AATCC 16.3; ASTM G155; ASTM D4798/D4798M (xenon arc method); ASTM D2565; ASTM D4459; ASTM D7869; SAE J1885; SAE J1960; SAE J2412; SAE J2527
More from Element
Accelerated Weathering Testing
We provide Xenon Arc testing, Carbon Arc testing and UV Exposure testing to simulate exposure of your products or materials to ultraviolet radiation, temperature and moisture.
Find out about Element’s corrosion testing services, from salt spray to cyclic corrosion, pitting and crevice corrosion testing.
Energy Coatings Testing
We offer world-class materials expertise in polymers, elastomers, thermoplastics, composites and structural adhesives.
ASTM G154 and ASTM G155 Explained
Learn about ASTM G154 and ASTM G155 and how they empower manufacturers to design products that can withstand exposure to sunlight and moisture.