Element performs Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) surveys and risk assessments to protect your employees from EMF exposure, help you create a safe working environment, and comply with CEMFAW regulations.
What is an EMF survey?
An EMF Survey is a series of on-site measurements using a portable instrument to assess the levels EMF employees are exposed to, and ensure exposure is below the Exposure Limit Values (ELVs). It allows for identification, evaluation, and ultimately adequately reduces or controls any risks that may be present.
What is the cost of an EMF survey?
The cost of an on-site survey depends on the number and complexity of sources of EMF on your site. Typically, surveys can be completed in 1 or 2 days, depending on the size. Sources of EMF vary greatly but commonly include Power distribution, transformers, electric arc furnaces, large electrical equipment, high voltage equipment, and power lines, welding or metal production, magnetization, generation of microwaves, medical activities, broadcasting equipment, induction heating, electricity production, even some computers, and much more.
At Element, we have a nationwide network of consultants which means we are local to you thus reducing travel costs.
Why do you need an EMF survey?
Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) can be highly dangerous to the employees in your workplace if not adequately controlled. EMF exposure health risks include cell damage, a decline in nervous system function, cancer, and sleep disturbances. It is mandatory to protect your employees from health risks by undertaking an EMF risk assessment under CEMFAW regulations.
What are EMF occupational exposure limits?
Exposure Limits are used to prevent possible harm from the heating of tissue and electrical stimulation of nerves and tissue caused by exposure to EMFs.
Sensory-effect Exposure Limits are used to prevent effects such as flickering sensation, or a feeling of nausea, vertigo, or a metallic taste caused by static magnetic fields.
- Apply to all workers not at Particular Risk, therefore assessment required against the applicable Action Levels
- Levels above which particular indirect effects may take place, such as interference with pacemakers
- A Public Action Level of 40 mT for static magnetic fields is defined to limit interference with active implanted medical devices.
CEMFAW regulations 2016
The Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work (CEMFAW) Regulations 2016 came into effect in the UK on 1 July 2016. Consequently, all UK companies are now required to undertake an EMF risk assessment to assess the risks employees face from exposure to Electromagnetic Fields at Work.
The CEMFAW regulations require employers to:
- Undertake an EMF risk assessment
- If required produce an EMF control action plan
- Identify any at-risk employees and ensure they are suitably protected from EMFs
- Provide instruction, information, and training to employees on risks and controls
- Provide health surveillance if at-risk personnel are identified
Our EMF surveys and risk assessment services
Element's occupational hygienists provide a comprehensive EMF risk assessment and measurement service that includes:
- An initial EMF Risk Audit & Assessment – to identify all relevant EMF-generating equipment
- Measurement Surveys – to evaluate all actual EMF levels/exposures and compare to acceptable/recommended limits
- EMF Advice – to produce EMF action plans and where appropriate machine or equipment zoning
- A detailed technical report
- Employee information, instruction, and training on EMFs in the workplace
Element offers EMF exposure assessment services for high-risk industries such as electrical supply, welding, metal production working, and magnetic or microwave equipment.
We carry out all EMF surveys and assessments under the guidance published in the following UK HSE and EU documents:
- HSG281 "Electromagnetic fields at work – A guide to the Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work Regulations 2016."
- EU "Non-binding guide to good practice for implementing Directive 2013/35/EU Electromagnetic Fields: Volumes 1 & 2."
The Element advantage
With over 20 years of experience in delivering occupational hygiene, Element is the expert in providing professional and fast EMF surveys and assessments in the UK and Ireland. We can tailor EMF services to suit your specific project requirements, offering a fast and reliable route to compliance.
Other services include:
Please contact us if you have any questions about EMF surveys and assessments or requirements.
An Introductory Guide to Occupational Hygiene
A healthy bottom-line is directly linked to a healthy workforce. Download our reference guide to understanding each aspect of occupational hygiene in the workplace.Download Your Copy Today
Workplace Air Monitoring
Element’s highly experienced team of qualified occupational hygienists specializes in delivering a range of workplace air monitoring services for use within a diverse range of operating environments.
Welding Fume Monitoring
Our team of Occupational Hygienists can undertake a comprehensive range of monitoring and assessment services, including undertaking welding fume exposure monitoring of fumes and gases.
Noise in the Workplace
Element's experts have years of experience in carrying out on-site noise assessments. All assessments undertaken by our experts are qualified through the Institute of Acoustics and BOHS, in accordance with the UK HSE guidance L108 "Controlling Noise at Work."
Whole Body and Hand-Arm Vibration Assessments
Element has a track record in delivering hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) and whole-body vibration (WBV) assessments in the workplace to make certain your employees receive the best possible care.