Wall and air barrier systems are evaluated in terms of leakage, water penetration, wind resistance, weather tightness, thermal performance, acoustics, seismic performance, u-value and structural adequacy.
Wall systems 1 and 2 storey capabilities
Wall systems are evaluated in terms of air leakage, water penetration and structural wind load resistance. Full-scale testing can be conducted on samples measuring 2.4 meters x 2.4 meters or on samples measuring up to 6.0 meters x 6.0 meters using a large two-storey test chamber.
Testing includes but is not limited to the following:
- Determination for rate of air leakage through exterior doors and windows and curtain walls under specified pressure differences across the specimen.
- Structural performance of exterior windows, curtain walls and doors by uniform static air pressure difference.
- Water penetration of exterior windows, skylights, doors and curtain walls by uniform static air pressure difference.
- Water penetration of exterior windows, skylights, doors and curtain wall by cyclic static air pressure difference.
- Performance testing.
Air barrier materials and systems
(1 x 1 meter up to 6 x 6 meters)
Tests are available to evaluate the air permeability characteristics of both air barrier materials and systems:
- Determination for rate of air leakage through exterior windows, curtain walls and doors under specified pressure differences across the specimen.
- Standard test method for air permeance of building materials.
- A full range of test services are available to evaluate the performance of the raw materials, coatings, sealant, adhesives and insulation products that are used to build EIFS stucco exterior cladding.
Wall and roof systems
Dynamic response test - custom full-scale testing of PER systems (2.4 x 2.4 meter samples) to determine pressure equalization behavior. The test method simulates positive or negative gust wind loads on a wall system and monitors the rate of pressure change within the wall cavity. The testing can incorporate water spray and/or temperature variations.
Building envelope field inspections/field testing
We conduct building envelope/curtain wall inspections and testing as well as on-site dew point determinations of insulating glass units. Infrared thermographic services are also available for building envelopes, electrical services or mechanical system evaluations.