Element provides testing and certification services to ensure the safety and reliability of railway components and systems. We can help you meet the EN 50121 standards for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).
What is EN 50121
The five standards provide a framework for managing the EMC for railways. It specifies the limits for the electromagnetic (EM) emission of the railway as a whole to the outside world and for the EM emission and immunity for equipment operating within the railway.
Limits and levels are chosen to ensure a reasonable level of EMC with other apparatus within the local railway environment.
Supporting you in meeting Railway standards
- EN 50121-3-2 - EMC emission and immunity testing of Rolling Stock Apparatus
- EN 50121-4 - EMC emission and immunity testing of signaling and telecommunications apparatus
- EN 50121-5 - EMC Emission and immunity testing of fixed power supply installations and apparatus
- EN 50121-3-1 - EMC emissions testing of Rolling Stock, Train, and Complete Vehicle
- EN 50121-2 - EMC emissions testing of the whole railway system to the outside world
- EN 50155 - EMC and environmental testing of Rolling stock and Electronic equipment
Our Railway EMC services
- Advisory services regarding relevant testing requirements for your railway components
- Digital Engineering Modeling and Simulation Services
- Railway EMC testing services in the laboratory, on-site, and trackside
- Live environment testing
- On-site and in-situ surveys
- Certification services
- Wireless coexistence testing
- Climatic and environmental simulation
- Bespoke testing to consider the integration of wireless functions into rail products
- Railway EMC management plans,
- Railway EMC Qualification Test Plan Authoring
- Rolling stock EMC testing
Wireless device testing and coexistence for railway environments
With Element, you can combine EMC testing with radio coexistence testing into one cost-effective test program, including:
- Wireless device testing
- Radiofrequency testing
- Wireless coexistence testing
- Certification to RED for CE marking, FCC, ISED, MIC, and assisting in global market access
The Element advantage
Element has the equipment, accreditations, and experience to help assess your products against the EN 50121 series of standards. Our state-of-the-art laboratories are equipped with EMC test chambers large enough to accommodate a whole locomotive.
Whatever the size or nature of your product, our railway compliance specialists can provide you with advice on every aspect of EMC compliance, safety compliance, and environmental compliance. This includes testing at the manufacturer's site or in situ when it comes to large products or infrastructure.
To Learn more about how Element can assist you in meeting Railway EMC standards contact us today.
Understanding EMC directive harmonized standards
The EMC directive, with associated harmonized standards, requires electrical & electronic equipment manufacturers to meet regulatory requirements.LEARN MORE
Case Study | Battery Powered Train Route AssessmentExplore an assessment of whether a battery power can take an electric train along an unelectrified section of the railway to eliminate diesel traction. LEARN MORE
More from Element
Commercial EMC Testing
At Element, we test thousands of products every year, having one of the largest capacities for electromagnetic (EMC) testing of commercial and industrial electronic devices.
In addition to vibration testing, Element provides a range of dynamics testing including acceleration, shock, drop, structural, fatigue and rotating load simulations.
Element can provide you with critically important data on your product or part's performance in response to typical or extreme environmental stresses and conditions.
Local laboratories, global platform
Doing business with one of our laboratories enables our clients' access to our global platform of expertise, capacity and capabilities.