A material's composition affects everything about it - how long it lasts, how strong or flexible it is, how it’s packaged, and more. Investigative Chemistry is based on the idea that materials questions can be answered by examining the processes, components and chemical reactions involved.
Element’s investigative chemistry experts possess a unique range of experience in consulting, analytical testing, and industrial chemistry. Whether you need routine services or non-routine projects, we can help with QA/QC assistance, material verification, product deformulation, identification of unknown materials, failure analysis, and more.
We can work with you to explore investigative chemistry solutions for your most pressing challenges. Element provides investigative chemistry and testing services across all sectors, including private and government organizations.
Questions We Answer
Our investigative chemistry methods can be used to evaluate and classify a wide range of materials. Some of the questions we can help answer include:
- What is this material made of?
- What caused this part to corrode?
- Why didn’t this adhesive hold?
- What discolored this test item?
- Is my product contaminated?
- Why did the coating fail?
Techniques and Equipment
Element Materials Technology performs testing and evaluation using the following techniques and onsite specialized equipment:
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectrometry (EDS)
- Gas Chromatography/Mass Selective Detection (GC/MSD)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Optical Emission Spectrometry (OES)
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
More from Element
Element provides a comprehensive range of coatings services that range from large scale simulations to individual application tests
Element provides an extensive range of sour corrosion services and environmental simulations
Learn more about our laboratories - where they are located; the unique capabilities they have and how they can help you solve your technical and commercial challenges.
Expertise our most valuable asset
Our people are the key to our success and our most valuable asset, working tirelessly to solve our clients' most complex challenges.