At work, at home, in planes, trains and automobiles, we rely on furniture to support us. Furniture and cabinetry need to provide strength, durability, safety, ease of use, and ergonomic suitability . . . and more and more often these qualities are required and enforced by governing agencies.
On top of current standards and regulatory changes
Element scientists continually monitor legislation and regulation changes to offer comprehensive testing for furniture, cabinets and other related products, conducted with national accreditation under a Quality Program that meets the standards of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). In accordance with these or specifications customized to the client, we evaluate:
- Office Furnishings Element conducts testing in accordance with the American National Standards for Office Furnishings, written by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and sponsored by the Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers’ Association (BIFMA). These tests are applicable to office chairs, lateral and vertical files, lounge seating, desk products, panel systems, and various other furnishings.
- Laboratory Furnishings Element follows standards written by the Scientific Equipment and Furniture Association (SEFA) to evaluate furniture, casework, shelving, tables, fume hoods, and related equipment.
- Sleep Systems Element is the only complete independent bedding evaluation laboratory in the U.S. Element scientists use Cornell Mattress Evaluation, Interface Pressure Imaging, Rollator Testing, Impact Squirm, Flammability, Flex Test, Buyer Specification Compliance and Failure Analysis to evaluate mattresses, box springs, futons and other bedding products.
- Kitchen and Vanity Cabinets and Hardware Element follows guidelines set by ANSI for cabinet hardware, sponsored by the Builders’ Hardware Manufacturers’ Association (BHMA), and for performance and construction standards sponsored by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers’ Association (KCMA).
Other ways Element scientists can evaluate a product’s properties include:
- Acoustical/vibration properties Measuring the transmission of sound or response to vibration.
- Fabric and foam properties Measuring cushion, impact, flammability and other characteristics of upholstered items.
- Mechanical performance Analyzing mechanisms for stress/strain, impact, torque, load, pressure and other responses.
- Metallurgical characteristics Element is accredited by the International Code Council to test a wide variety of hardware for strength, durability and other properties.
- Environmental simulation response Testing products’ responses to accelerated aging, temperature variables, altitude, weathering, corrosion and more.
- Forensic science Analyzing products microscopically or chemically using highly sophisticated instrumentation to identify a material or process.
- Flammability Element complies with national and local regulations to measure a product’s heat and flame retardant properties.
Ready to request a quote?
Our deliverable is certainty - high quality data, test reports and certificates that you can absolutely rely on when making decisions about your materials and compliance. Engage with an expert today.