Coatings can be subject to both physical and mechanical damage during their product life. We test the mechanical and physical integrity of coatings to help manufacturers and engineers understand the properties of a specific product or scheme.
Element’s ISO 17025 certified global coatings laboratories are tailored to meet specific geographical requirements with a comprehensive and versatile range of mechanical and physical coatings test equipment.
Mechanical and physical coatings test methods
The methods for evaluating film and coating integrity can include the following test types:
- water vapor permeability testing
- impact testing
- flexibility testing
- penetration testing
- hardness testing
- adhesion testing
- volume solids testing
- abrasion testing.
Element tests to international standards including ISO, ASTM, NACE, and CSA.
- Taber abrasion– ASTM D4060
- Volume solids – ISO 3223
- Impact – ASTM D2794, ISO 6272
- Flexibility – ASTM B489, ASTM D522, ASTM D790, CSA Z245.20, ISO 1519, ISO 178, ISO 6860
- Indentation – ISO 21809-1 and 3
- Adhesion testing – ASTM D3359, ASTM D4541, ASTM D6677, ISO 2409, ISO 4624
- Dry Film Thickness (DFT) – ASTM D7091, ISO 19840
- Hardness testing – ASTM D2240, ASTM D3363, ISO 15184, ISO 7619
The Element advantage
We assist in the implementation of bespoke test programs to help the industry achieve regulatory compliance, optimize safety performance, and ensure high quality, reliability, and long service life.
Please contact us today for a complete list of the services available.
• Taber Abrasion– ASTM D4060
• Volume Solids – ISO 3223
• Impact – ASTM D2794, ISO 6272
• Flexibility – ASTM B489, ASTM D522, ASTM D790, CSA Z245.20, ISO 1519, ISO 178, ISO 6860
• Indentation – ISO 21809-1 and 3
• Adhesion strength testing – ASTM D3359, ASTM D4541, ASTM D6677, ISO 2409, ISO 4624
• Dry Film Thickness (DFT) – ASTM D7091, ISO 19840
• Hardness testing – ASTM D2240, ASTM D3363, ISO 15184, ISO 7619
Please contact us for a complete list of the services available.
Abrasion & Wear Testing
Our Engaged Experts perform abrasion and wear testing that will help predict the lifetime and durability of a material or coating.
Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) allows chemists to use very small samples of a substance to identify and quantify its components.
As a world leader in the provision of corrosion testing services, Element provides effective corrosion testing programs to help you reduce the cost of failure of your materials, and ensure that your assets are safe and will perform as expected once deployed in the field.
Paint and Coating Material Testing Services
Discover our full range of paint and coating testing services. Our experts can help you determine what test types are appropriate for your product.
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
SEM analysis is a powerful analytical tool which uses a focused beam of electrons to produce intricate, high magnification images of a sample’s surface topography.
Dynamic Mechanical Analysis Testing (DMA)
Element's dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA) is a powerful tool for understanding the thermal and mechanical properties of polymeric materials.
Gas Chromatography Mass Spectroscopy
GC/MS is a combination of two advanced analytical techniques which allow for the identification and precise quantification of volatile and semi-volatile compounds for liquid, gaseous and solid samples.
Differential Scanning Calorimetry Analysis
Element performs DSC testing experts have years of experience across a variety of industries, and can help you overcome the unique challenges inherent with non-metallic materials.
Thermal Conductivity Testing and Measurement
Element offers effective thermal conductivity and measurement services for a wide range of materials, to ensure they insulate, conduct and withstand temperature changes in Aerospace, Oil & Gas and Transportation applications.