Element can perform exposure testing of elastomers, thermoplastics, and composites in sweet (i.e., non-sour) fluids to provide an insight into how they degrade in a variety of both liquid and gaseous environments. Our tests are carried out in accordance with NORSOK, ISO, API, ASTM and NACE standards, as well as to custom procedures from clients, or developed for clients.
Element has a long track record of supporting Oil and Gas customers with evaluating the compatibility and durability of polymers and composites for upstream, midstream and downstream applications.
We have over 30 years of experience of delivering test programmes to the NORSOK M-710 and ISO 23936 standards; these focus specifically on sealing material durability and Rapid Gas Decompression (RGD) resistance of elastomeric materials. We have also for many years tested sealing materials to API 6A Annex F.1.11 and F.1.13 protocols. Our industry-leading specialists have made significant contributions to both standards and are members of the ISO standards Working Group committee.
We utilize our state-of-the-art HTHP laboratories to simulate hazardous in-service environments and expose different types of polymeric materials and components to brines, oils, treatment chemicals and gases. The fluids can be single or multi-phase, and test duration ranges from short-term (e.g., a standard RGD test of 8 days) to long-term (e.g., one-year exposure of insulation materials according to ISO 12736).
With one of the most comprehensive ranges of materials testing services in the sector, we can track material performance over time by quantifying changes in its physical and mechanical properties.
Our sweet fluid exposure capabilities
- Pressure labs with over 100 test stations
- Our standard vessels operate up to 230°C and 1000 bar
- Special vessels are used for temperatures to 315°C and pressures to 1400 bar
- Pressure labs with over 100 test stations
- Low-temperature seal performance rig
- Dedicated rigs for umbilical pressure cycling and permeation (ISO 8308)
- Dedicated lab for gas permeation
- Many ovens for vapor pressure tests
- Simulated Service Test (SST) vessel, for pipeline insulation
- Customer-specific services; consultancy, material, and functional testing programmes
Our real-life simulation of HPHT environments combined with first-class technical support help you comply with new emerging materials performance requirements and provide you with accurate results.
For more information about how we perform polymer exposure to sweet environment, or to request a quote, contact us today.
- ISO 23936-1: thermoplastics; durability
- ISO 23936-2: elastomers; durability and RGD
- NORSOK M-710: durability and RGD (elastomers); durability (thermoplastics)
- ISO 13628-2 API 17J “Specification for Unbonded Flexible Pipe”
- Shell ED Test Procedure
- Total GS PVV 142 Appendix 8 “Elastomer O-ring Seals Explosive Decompression Type Testing Procedure”
- NACE TM0192 “Evaluating Elastomeric Materials in Carbon Dioxide Decompression Environments”
- NACE TM0297 “Effects of High-Temperature, High-Pressure Carbon Dioxide Decompression on Elastomeric Materials”
ISO 10423 F.1.11 & F.1.13 (API 6A)
- Appendix F.1.11 Pressure / Temperature Cycling Test
- Appendix F.1.13 Fixture and Immersion Test
We perform high-pressure temperature cycling and sub-ambient portions of the fixture tests in a dedicated cold box.
ISO 13628-4 (API 17D)
- Section 22.214.171.124 Life-cycle/endurance testing
The 200 cycle pressure test is performed on valves, chokes, and actuators in specified conditions, for example, at room temperature with water.
Sections 126.96.36.199.3 Pressure cycling and 188.8.131.52 Permeation
Permeation of liquids through hose and tubing walls umbilicals
Assessment of the thermal, physical and mechanical performance of thermal insulation coating materials on pipes, field joints, and components
Element uses a fully instrumented 0.8 m diameter SST (Simulated Service Test) vessel for two 5 m insulated pipes capable of being heated to 200°C internally with up to 250 bar external water pressure at 4°C for tests lasting up to 12 months. Our Engaged Experts can thoroughly assess subsea wet insulation coatings for changes in mechanical and thermal properties caused by the simulated service conditions.
We offer world-class materials expertise in polymers, elastomers, thermoplastics, composites, and structural adhesives. With a global reach of coatings laboratories in the UK, USA, Europe, and Asia, Element provides a comprehensive range of coatings testing services to the Energy, Aerospace, Defense, and Transportation sectors.
Mechanical Testing of Polymers
Find out about Elements unique range of mechanical testing services for polymers, elastomers, thermoplastics, composites and structural adhesives.
Thermal Insulation Coatings
Our industry-leading coating expertise covers a wide range of applications and client needs. Using state-of-the-art equipment and techniques, we provide consulting, investigation and testing of thermal insulation coatings.
Learn more about our laboratories - where they are located; the unique capabilities they have and how they can help you solve your technical and commercial challenges.