Simon has over thirty years’ experience of developing and applying simulation strategies in industries as varied as aerospace, defence, oil and gas, nuclear, renewable power and chemical process.
After a first degree in Mechanical Engineering and then a PhD, Simon immediately became a professional solver of engineering problems. After a spell of mathematical modelling in the glass industry, he moved into consultancy and has worked there ever since.
His interest has always been in identifying how engineering simulation can be best used to improve the performance and safety of major products. The first step is always building an understanding of the underlying problem, and Simon has a rare skill for quickly learning the key points of a new area. He then uses his extensive knowledge of different modelling approaches and methods to identify the best route to a working and useful solution.
- Developing a new dynamic and hydrodynamic model for lifeboats;
- Overseeing the conceptual design and analysis of a new nuclear fusion reactor heat exchanger;
- Explosion modelling and dynamic response of a hydrogen fuel cell;
- Novel techno-economic model development for offshore energy applications.
- Fluid dynamics and computational fluid dynamics
- Structural dynamics
- Safety case support analysis
- Mathematical modelling
- PhD Mechanical Engineering/Applied Mathematics
- BEng (Hons)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- Member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (MRINA)
Recent committees, publications and conferences
- Member of Process Industries Board, IMechE.
- Member of Industrial Guidance Board, Leeds University Doctoral Training Centre in Industrial Fluid Dynamics.
- Former Chair Offshore Oil & Gas Committee, IMechE
- Chair, Novel Materials Offshore Seminar, September 2022
- Author, The Application of Systems Engineering in Offshore Oil & Gas, IMechE, 2016
- Author, Best Practice Applications of Digital Technology in Offshore Oil & Gas, IMechE, 2017
- Oil & Gas
- Chemical Process
- Food & Beverage
Element Digital Engineering
Utilize modeling, simulation, data science, and other digital solutions to help our customers solve complex problems.
Our team helps you get the most from your assets and products at every stage of the lifecycle to help you to stay ahead of the competition.
Take your business on a digital transformation journey with Element to drive performance, predict future outcomes and solve complex problems.READ MORE